Thursday 13 March 2014

Fear vs. Destiny

I'm currently reading a book by Joyce Meyer that has really struck a cord with me so I felt the need to share with you what I'm learning from her words.

Many of us are living with a confidence deficiency - we are living in fear - fear of failure, fear of what people think about us, fear of change - meaning we will never know and experience true joy.

Do you know what the consequence is? The consequence is that we then can't seek out our destiny because we've let fear take control of our lives - we've let it "slam and lock the door in our life". We become afraid. We become filled with self hatred with fear of rejection, fear of failure and fear of others.

As victims of fear we are then people pleasers. I'm very guilty of this myself...my Aus family will definitely back me up on this fact - with my typical response to most questions being "I don't mind" or "I don't know" (which is now banned). I'm guilty of spending and wasting so much time trying to be what I think I ought to be in someone else's eyes - I try to be smart, I try to be loving and patient and kind...I pretty much try to be perfect. I guess I've been lucky to realise this now. I know it's not too late for me to change my outlook and encourage and build on God's power in me because "Even before he made the World, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes" (Ephesians 1:4 NLT)...without fault in his eyes...we don't have to try to be how we think others want us to be. That was never God's intention for us. 


In the words of Joyce Meyer - "fear does not mean you are a coward. It only means that you need to be willing to fear the fear and do what you need to do anyway." Or in the words of John Wayne - "courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." So...when we become willing to fear the fear and press into the unknown - take a step of faith - then we can reach incredible heights. "I know that without Him I am nothing, but with Him, I can be a champion, because He brings out the best in me" (John 15:5).

With His help, His love, His patience, we can then seek out our destiny. 

As for us people-pleasers, when we know we are loved for ourselves, not just our accomplishments or performance (A level grades in my case!!) then we no longer need to fear failure. We can be free to explore, to find our own niche. We can find our destiny. In the words of John Maxwell - "we can fail forward." There's no need to let fear rule our lives because "God is with you in all that you do" (Genesis 21:22 NLT) even when we are fearful, "when you walk through deep waters, I am with you" (Isaiah 48:2).


To finish with a quote we all know so well, Sam Montgomery - "Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."


So, go and step out, let nothing stop you. Do the amazing things you were made to do.


I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment