Tuesday 8 July 2014

Where's Wally?

Yet again I have been inspired by books! This time: The Shack by William Paul Young and God is closer than you think by John Ortberg.

Where is God when I just want him to reveal himself to me so I will believe?
Where is God when I need him the most?
Why can’t I just see God?

They’re just some of the million dollar questions eyy!?

I want to start with HIDE AND SEEK.

And yes I am talking about that fantastic “child’s” (I don’t wish to offend you if you still like a cheeky game) game which we all know and love (debate-able yes).

Why do you think children play hide and seek?
What is so enjoyable for the “seeker”?

For me, what comes to mind is the joy of the seeker when he/she finds the hider. Such joyous wonder exists in finding something/someone which was once lost/hidden.
God’s choice to “hide” himself from us is an act of love. He wants us to want to seek him. He wants us to explore, discover and create. For any created being, autonomy is lunacy. Freedom involves trust and obedience inside a relationship of love. Freedom to discover for ourselves.

What about that split second of elation when we think we have found what we are looking for?  We live in a world that tells us if we own the latest electronics , if we wear the most fashionable clothes, if we are the most attractive we can be and achieve the best grades and qualifications then we will be SUSSED...we will “have it all”. I see these things as “split seconds of elation”.  However hard we try - they will never sustain us. “If only’s” will never sustain us.

So what are you seeking? And what is sustaining you?

Let’s now turn to WHERE’S WALLY.

Yes, that red and white striped, glasses and hat wearing man.

Developing the capacity to track him down is part of the point of the book. We have to look for Wally; he is hidden to the untrained eye. However when found, a sense of joy and accomplishment is achieved! (Can you see where I'm going with this!?)

If every page of Where’s Wally consisted of his giant face spread across the paper – would you buy the book? Would anyone buy the book? The difficulty of the task increases the power of discernment. He may not be absent but he is elusive. God is Wally. Yes I know that sounds nuts but hear me out - God is not absent – he is simply elusive, we have to seek him amongst the frenzy and busyness of life (amongst all the other things going on in the picture – in our picture).

It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of Kings is to search things out (Proverbs 25:2 NLT)

"If Gold was as common as dirt, it would have the same value as dirt"

God wants to be known, but not in a way that overwhelms us and takes away the possibility of love freely chosen.

I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment