Friday 14 October 2016

Why am I writing a book?

It's been 9 days since I had the absolute thrill and privilege of announcing my little book venture with SPCK Publishers and I thought it best to explain myself a little more?!


Why am I doing this? 

1. Because I can

Don't make the mistake of reading that subheading and clicking 'exit'. Let me explain!
We all struggle with self-doubt in some areas of life. The one subject I struggled the most with at school was English (shock, horror!) I vividly remember receiving a 'D' for my GCSE mock and feeling overwhelmed with feelings of failure. 

A few years ago I started this blog - nothing special, just sharing my pondering thoughts - and I realised that with every post I published I was releasing feelings of incompetency. 

Writing a book has always been an absolute dream of mine. 

I was approached by the visionary Juliet at SPCK and we brainstormed the ideas for this book. Part of me wanted to retreat and quit before I had the chance to fail. But I'm learning that if we don't embrace the 'crazy' or the 'risk', we don't realise the 'awesome' and the 'amazing'. 

I am competent. I am able. #THISGIRLCAN

So bring it. 

2. Because it's not about me

Seemingly ironic?! Well, one of the ways I've released feelings of incompetency about writing this book is by reminding myself that it's not about me, nor is it for me.

I'm so excited about what this book can proclaim to a generation of girls. It's for the girl who is trying to figure out who she is, the girl who looks in the mirror and hates what she sees, the girl of faith or of no faith. It's for the girl immersed in an image-conscious culture. It's for the girl who doesn't know her true value, beauty or purpose. 

I have faith that girls will rise with a new confidence about who they are. I have faith that girls will be inspired and equipped to follow their dreams. I have faith that a domino-effect is possible. 

And most of all, I have faith that God will use this book to touch the lives of those who need it most. 

3. Because now is the time

Writing has always been a dream of mine but I always imagined it as a far-off possibility not an imminent reality. Yet, I feel as if I have been called for 'such a time as this' (Esther 4:14).  

Whilst some may see my age as a liability, I see it as an asset. I am more relatable now than I will ever be. And right now, girls need to hear truth. 

Now is the time to 'go'. And nothing will get in my way or God's way.


Follow the journey by following @belle_ministry. 
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jessie,

    I am so excited and thrilled that you are on your way to publishing a book! I believe you have touched the lives of so many girls through Belle that your book will allow you to touch the lives of more girls who perhaps could never get to meet you, due to different circumstances (the one I am mainly thinking of is location, they live too far away).

    I am really excited to read your book and are praying for you and for the success of your book ������.

    You are a blessing to all❣️
    Rebecca Gaffney xx

    .P.S. Apologies I deleted my first comment (it was the same) as it had bad spelling mistakes in it.

    ReplyDelete