Monday 21 May 2018

The Truth About Adulting


One of the biggest things I’ve noticed in the last couple of years (now I’m 22 years old, ha), is that we tend to think everyone has their life sorted.

I don’t know about you but I remember being in reception and thinking how big the year 6 kids were. I remember being in year 7 and thinking how big the sixth formers were and I remember finishing school and thinking how big the uni-goers were.

I’ve just noticed my repetition of the word “big”. Now, there would be the obvious height difference in most cases; implying the use of the word “big”, but not in every case. I think often we look at those ‘above’ and ‘beyond’ us and something about them seems more competent.



Similar thought processes happen for me even today:
  • I observe the business people taking the tube to work and how professional, neat and qualified they look.
  • I observe the stay-at-home parent and how organised, patient and proficient they look.
  • I observe the twenty-something-year-old travelling the world via social media and how adventurous, brave and capable.
  • I observe the social media influencer and blogger and how inventive, creative and accomplished they are.

Notice the use of the following words in my observations;

Qualified
Proficient
Capable
Accomplished

Often when we look at other people, we seem to think that they are more qualified, proficient, capable and accomplished when, on paper, they may well be. But, in reality everyone is winging it. And at times they, too, will feel like imperfect failures or frauds.

Adulting is being thrown in the deep end: figuring out how the heck to pay bills, look smart for a job interview, do 21st century dating, cook relatively healthy meals and not binge-watch too much Netflix. It's all a bit messy, and that's ok!

Today I was at the audiobook recording of ‘More Than Just Pretty’. Neil, the very talented audio-guy, and myself were chatting about how it’s been suggested that everyone is between the ages of 15 and 20-something years old in their head (no matter their age). It’s funny isn’t it. We’re ‘adults’ yet we’ll always be young at heart (and in mind) and just kind of winging it.

Well, I know I am!

So, how do I cope? I know that God doesn’t ‘call’ the qualified, he qualifies the ‘called’. I think this means that God has designed purposes, dreams and plans for each of us. We may not feel capable but as soon as we step into those purposes, dreams and plans, God equips us and gives us what we need to accomplish them.

My hope is that I am allowing God to use me; even if it means doing things that feel so out of my comfort zone, a little unconventional and that I don’t feel qualified for.

My trust is in Him because He is in me.

I don’t want to be someone who says, “Not me. I’m stupid, poor, weak, incapable, afraid.”
I want to be someone who says, “If that’s your dream for me, then help me.”

Step into “winging it” with boldness and courage because God is with you.


P.s. I think that this whole topic is part of the reason I love books so much. Books are a means for someone to communicate with honesty about their experiences. It sure encourages me on my journey of adulthood. And hopefully More Than Just Pretty will encourage young women on their journey too; that their experiences aren't isolated.

P.p.s. Audiobook is coming soon for #MoreThanJustPretty

1 comment: