Thursday 24 May 2018

The Truth About The “Toblerone Tunnel”

Oh my. If I could scream through computer screens then I would. I am currently trying to compose myself and my thoughts so I can write a relatively helpful blog post about this very new craze/fad/trend, The Toblerone Tunnel. And no, it’s nothing to do with chocolate (shame).
Did you think the thigh gap was far enough? Think again. The Toblerone Tunnel is taking over Instagram and is about women forming a triangular-shaped gap by the bottom and the tops of the upper thighs. 

uk.style.yahoo.com
Because I couldn't face putting a photo up of the actual Toblerone Tunnel

I did some research (as always right!)
When I googled ‘Toblerone Tunnel’, the first few articles scared me. This is what I found in articles 1 to 5:
- “Celebrities show off ‘Toblerone tunnels’ on Instagram” | Daily Mail Online
Why does it matter what celebrities are doing? And why are they doing it in the first place? I can’t help but feel saddened and frustrated by their blatant inability to not care for the wellbeing of women and girls who are influenced by them (whether explicitly or implicitly). 
- “What is the Toblerone Tunnel thigh gap and how do you get it?” | The Sun
The question we don’t need to therefore be asking is how to get it. Neither do we need to be giving women and girls tools for how to be unhealthily obsessed with their body’s; not an unlikely response to this article. 
- “Ladies, Do you have a Toblerone Tunnel?...”| The Sun
So what? The problem with asking these questions is that our minds, uncontrollably, race through reasons why we don’t, whether we should, how we could, what would happen if we did, etc.
- “Toblerone Tunnel is the Latest Sexy Craze Sweeping Instagram” | Maxim
Lets not start labelling this stuff ‘sexy’. Lets not glamorize what is unhealthy, unhelpful and purely damaging to the health, wellbeing and esteem of women and girls.
- “Kate Wright and Kendall Jenner show off their Toblerone Tunnels…” | The Mirror
Again, it makes me sad that influencers choose to conform to this craze. It makes me sad that popularity trumps morality.
- “The Toblerone Tunnel: A Bikini Body Trend to Ignore” | Womens Health
FINALLY. They go on to write about how being healthy is about fitness and strength, not aesthetics; which this craze is trying to sway us back to. 

Remember this is promoting unrealistic expectations, and you’re not the only one faced by it. Lets not conform to it. Lets rise against it. Lets be assured of our worth and be confident in who we are today. 
The Toblerone Tunnel is a “must-need” that you DON’T NEED this Summer (and every flipping day for that matter). Remember that healthy looks different on everyone. Remember that your body is not against you. Remember that your thoughts should not bully your body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment